What is the “Entourage Effect” and how can it benefit me?
The Entourage Effect explains the synergistic interaction between all plant compounds including cannibinoids, terpenes and various phytonutrients to produce enhanced, and even completely separate and unique effects. This can be summed up in plant medicine as the “whole being greater than the sum of it’s parts”. The research on the vast effects produced by varying ratios is still ongoing, but seems to point to this as a very real consideration worth your attention if you are attempting to use CBD containing products to enhance your life.
Whole Hemp Plant Extract or Pure CBD?
Both of these types of products can be effective for various ailments. In order to take advantage of the entourage effect, however, you’ll want to reach for a full-spectrum extract over an isolated CBD-only preparation. We have discussed CBD Isolates and why people might choose lone-molecule CBD in a previous article. To sum that up, one common reason is that people must avoid potential trace amounts of THC. All of our products contain under the .3 per cent level mandated by the federal and state governments, and many of them are lab analyzed to be completely free of THC. Studies are showing low doses of CBD alone are effective for seizures, so that does bode well for those who must completely avoid it:
Patients taking a 10-milligram (mg) daily dose of pharmaceutical grade cannabidiol (CBD) experienced nearly as great a reduction in seizures as patients on 20 mg, and with fewer side effects, said lead researcher Dr. Orrin Devinsky. He is director of NYU Langone’s Comprehensive Epilepsy Center in New York City.https://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/news/20180516/low-dose-of-cbd-oil-eases-epilepsy-seizures
That said, we believe that nature knows best and that the plants were provided to us with the correct ratios of beneficial compounds together in a way to maximize their bio-availability in your body and provide full-spectrum support to your body’s innate endocannabinoid system. CBD only may fill the need you have, but potential for a full extract will be greater.
What is involved in the Entourage Effect?
There are more than 480 compounds found in the cannabis hemp plant, sixty-six of which are classified as cannabinoids, unique to the cannabis plant. The following are being investigated currently:
- CBD – May reduce inflammation
- CBDa – May inhibit cancer cell growth
- CBG – May assist sleep
- CBGa – May relieve pain
- CBC – May promote bone growth
- CBCa – May help with fungal infection
- CBN – Sedative effect
- Delta-9 THC – Reduces nausea, stimulates appetite, aids muscle spasm
- Delta-9 THCa – May aid sleep, chemo-protective
- Delta-8 THC – Relieves pain
- THCV – May reduce convulsions and seizure
These are aromatic oils that you may be familiar with if you have experimented with various essential oils and are responsible for the aromas you are looking for. These terpenes are commonly found in the cannabis hemp plant and have been widely studied and are not unique to the cannabis plant:
- a-Pinene – Linked to increased alertness, memory retention
- Myrcene – Sedating and relaxing
- Limonene – Elevated mood and stress relief
- Caryophyllene – Stress relief
- Linalool – Mood enhancement and sedative effect
- Humulene – Anti-inflammatory
- Ocimene – Antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial, decongesting
- Terpinolene – Antioxidant, sedative effects, anti-fungal
Like any other plant, cannabis contains various flavinoids which, along with terpenes, are responsible for the color, flavor, and aroma you experience. This is probably the least investigated area of the cannabis hemp plant
- Cannaflavins A, B, C – Anti-inflammatory
- Beta-Sitosterol – May reduce BPH symptoms and cholesterol
- Vitexin – Anti-oxidant, anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory
- Isovitexin – Precursor to Apigenin
- Apigenin – Anxiety reducing, sedating at high dose
- Kaempferol – Anti-obesity, anti-cancer
- Quercetin – Anti-artherogenic properties studied
- Luteolin – Enhanced brain activity, anti-inflamatory
- Orientin – Anti-oxidant, anti-aging
Comparing plant medicine with a football team is a useful analogy. Consider CBD to be your team’s quarterback. It has a vitally essential role, but with no offensive line no points are going to be tallied. While CBD can be used when separated, it’s range of effect is much larger when the whole team is in on the effort. It is necessary to take a look at all the players on the field so you can attack your specific ailment with the most effective product. Because all of our products are lab tested with results available (just scan the QR code on the package), you can select the product that shows the most potential with the available research.
While the available research is somewhat lacking due to the longstanding prohibition, new studies are commencing every day and we are learning more and more about specific combinations which can help maximize your dollar with the entourage effect.
Subscribe to our blog, going forward we will be breaking down each of these chemistry related lines of inquiry so you can take an educated and holistic approach to your CBD supplementation. Lots of these compounds, other than cannabinoids are found in many common herbs and foods you may already be familiar with.